Formal Education

Human Services Certificate, 2018-2020
North Island College, Courtenay, British Columbia

I came to NIC to learn to effectively support individuals with developmental disabilities.  The training included courses in human development, current social issues, positive behavior support strategies, and concluded with a practicum at a local agency.  The instructors at NIC taught me how to show empathy and be a trustworthy advocate for those with multiple challenges.

Master of Arts in Leadership & Ministry,  2006-2008
Ambrose University College, Calgary, Alberta

My purpose for going to seminary was to get more specialized training in theology and pastoral leadership, gain a deeper awareness of my own personality and gifts, and better understand contemporary ethical issues I encountered in the world.  I gained all that, as well as increased confidence and the ability to hear people with different belief systems.

Bachelor of Arts in Biblical and Theological Studies, 1998-2002
Prairie Bible College, Three Hills, Alberta

Prairie has a long history of training individuals for Christian ministry.  My goal was to develop the skills to carry out the duties of a church minister.  Transferrable skills I received included how to care for people’s spiritual health, ability to give moral guidance, capacity to write and speak with clarity, and ability to adapt to different cultures.

Short-term Courses

Accreditation Now online training – CARF Canada

These are online modules that are needed for my employer, VICC, to maintain their CARF Canada accreditation and ensure quality of services.  Each of the 11 modules has a reading on the topic and then a short test afterward. This training helps me to know and adhere to essential principles of human service practice.  Below are the modules I have completed thus far.

Confidentiality, June 2, 2020

Describes what is confidential information (anything used to identify an individual), requirements for releasing information, secure access and storage of confidential information, examples of confidentiality breaches, and exceptions to privacy requirements

Person-Centered Planning, June 2, 2020

Module describes a group of approaches used to help persons with disabilities choose their own life path.  PCP ensures that community systems and services are responsive to persons served, that barriers are removed, and that the individual’s voice can be heard.  The module also discusses key characteristics and values of organizations that embrace PCP.

Unique Needs of Persons Served, June 5, 2020

Describes how to support persons with hearing, vision, or mobility impairments.  Emphasizes the importance of preserving individual dignity and autonomy.

Personal Conduct, June 5, 2020

Considers the importance of support worker behavior, both on and off the clock.  Encourages workers to be aware of their organization’s policies and codes of ethics.

Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
Kari Bennett (SD #71)  
May 12-June 18, 2020

This course provided an overview of ASD, diagnostic characteristics, brain function of affected individuals, and strategies to deal with challenging behaviors.  Key points I took away from the course are be aware of the difficulties experienced by those affected and to give them skills to succeed rather than simply manage their behavior.

Privacy and Information Management 
Community Living BC
October 20, 2019

This is an online course for those who serve CLBC-eligible individuals.  It discusses what are appropriate ways to collect, store, share and dispose of personal information.  Each section gives real-life examples to check my understanding.  The training concludes with a short assessment.

Building Bridges Through Understanding the Village
Cathi Camilleri
6 hours, November 23, 2018

This was an interactive re-telling of the story of Canada’s colonialization of Indigenous communities.  Hosted by Comox First Nation and facilitated by Cathi Camilleri, it helped me realize the suffering caused by residential schools and neglect of Indigenous communities in Canada.  I endeavor to have healthier relationships with First Nations individuals because of this workshop.

Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
April Statz & Jen Coombs
6 hours, May 29, 2019; renewed January 9, 2020

This one-day course teaches effective preventive strategies, de-escalation, and communication skills for handling aggressive behavior.  It is based on the values of care, welfare, safety, and security for both caregivers and those receiving support.  The goal of the course is to minimize the risk of harm while handling crisis situations.

Standard First Aid CPR/AED Level C
Red Cross,
December 6-7, 2017

First aid training is required for all active support workers.  This two-day course taught me how to prevent injuries and respond effectively in emergency situations.