Teacher’s helper, Age 7-10 Class,
Living Hope Church, Courtenay, BC, 2017-2018

For two years, I assisted with children’s teaching time at my church.  During the regular adult service, children are in classrooms where they learn through story-telling, videos, games, and art.  My role was to ensure kids were safe, encourage participation, and help the teacher as needed.  It was a delight to work with this energetic and curious age group.

Activities Assistant, I Belong Center,
L’Arche Comox Valley, Aug-Oct 2017

The I Belong Center was my introduction to community support agencies.  For two to four hours per week, I helped with outreach activities, such as greeting guests as they arrived and joining the painting and bird-house-making classes. It was a gift to share smiles, hugs, and conversation with persons of various abilities.  I also observed the love and genuine interest of experienced volunteers and staff.

Medical Equipment Cleaner,
Canadian Red Cross, Courtenay, BC, 2013-2014

This program loans medical equipment (wheelchairs, walkers, bath transfer equipment, etc.) to individuals recovering from surgery and illness or who have ongoing medical needs.  One day per week, my role was to wash and sterilized equipment after it had been used.  It was a great opportunity to ease the lives of those with medical difficulties and to work alongside some outstanding volunteers.

Visitor, Special Care Unit,
Glacier View Lodge, March – August 2013

Being a weekly visitor at Glacier View helped me get out of myself.  Once per week, I dropped in to serve coffee and socialize with one or two men.  The residents enjoyed having someone new to talk with.  I enjoyed listening to their stories and brightening their day with board games.